Stern Believes Radio Reign Coming to End
NEW YORK – Shock jock and self-proclaimed “King of All Media” Howard Stern believes his reign on the radio is coming to an end. “The show is over,” he announced Friday morning on his nationally syndicated radio program. “It’s over.”
It’s not – at least not yet. But Stern predicted that a Federal Communications Communication crackdown on indecency on the airwaves will force his salacious show off the dial.
“I’m guessing that sometime next week will be my last show on this station,” said Stern, adding that he expected the FCC to hit him with a whopping indecency fine. “There’s a cultural war going on. The religious right is winning. We’re losing.”
A telephone call to Infinity Broadcasting, which syndicates Stern’s show, was not returned Saturday to discuss Stern’s comments.
On Friday, Stern devoted the first 2 1/2 hours of his show to his anticipated demise, a change of pace from the usual fare of naked women and toilet humor.
Clear Channel Communications yanked Stern from stations in San Diego, Pittsburgh, Rochester, N.Y., Louisville, Ky., and Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla. on Feb. 25. The company said the suspension would last until the Stern show met its programming guidelines.
“This time they have to fire me,” Stern said. “I’m through. I’m a dead man walking.”
On Thursday, Clear Channel paid a record $755,000 fine levied last month by the FCC for indecent material aired by several of its stations.