[rizzn’s note: I’m going to be pursuing this story relentlessly with Nickel from the Video Games Show. I’ll give you updates as they come]
[rizzn’s note 2: I called the lady from the paper (Jessie-Lynne Kerr). She said the story’s been handed off to a court reporter, and no movement has been made on it. We do think we have tracked down Anthony’s home number, so we’ll let you know.
Nickel called the jail late on the 16th, and his info was already out of the system, indicating he might have already been released.]
Arrested man says conversation misinterpreted as he played game while on phone to work.
By JESSIE-LYNNE KERR
A man’s statement that his instructions during an action-packed video game were simply misinterpreted — prompting the evacuation of a North Jacksonville restaurant — isn’t deterring police from pursuing felony charges against him.
Police said they are treating a phone call late Sunday to Cross Creek Barbecue Restaurant in the 12100 block of Lem Turner Road as a legitimate bomb threat.
But Anthony S. Jones, 27, of the 500 block of Chestnut Drive, said he was at a friend’s house and playing the game Grand Theft Auto with a child. At one point in the violence-filled game, Jones told police he warned the other player: “There’s a bomb in the building. There’s a bomb in the building. Everyone needs to get out!”
He made the comments while talking on the phone with a co-worker at the restaurant, where he was a cook.
The co-worker heard the warning, considered it a serious threat and became scared, police said.
The night manager called police.
The restaurant was emptied of people and searched, but no explosives were found.
Police were able to use a call-return feature to determine where the call had been placed and went to a home on Grothe Street. The house belonged to a friend of Jones, who said Jones had been playing the video game and had used his phone.
Police arrested Jones on Monday on a charge of making a false report about planting a bomb or explosive, a second-degree felony that carries a maximum penalty of up to 15 years in prison.
Assistant State Attorney Mose Floyd said Tuesday he could not comment on the case because it is under investigation.
The friend could not be reached for comment Tuesday because his phone has been disconnected, and BellSouth has no new listing for him.
Jones remained in jail Tuesday in lieu of $5,003 bail. His case is scheduled for Circuit Court on June 16.
email@example.com, (904) 359-4374